Going into the deep can be scary...the unknowns can at times freak us out. I was messaging with a friend this morning and the thought occurred to me that to be willing go into the deep waters knowing that
grace is there with you is really amazing when you let it sink (no pun
intended...LOL) in. My friend pointed out that it is these things that either drive us away or drive us deeper. We both agreed we wanted deeper. No matter how painful the process, it is worth it to know our God on a deeper level and in that process find peace. Yes, there are times I reach out to a small circle of friends who I know will push me deeper into grace, to keep on keeping on, which is exactly how God designed it. To lock shields with others in prayer is such a blessing and I am thankful for those friends who listen to my heart and tell me the painful truths to remind me that this journey isn't about me. I need that at times...sometimes often times. We are doing battle on a narrow road. I read this today as I searched out how the soldiers locked shields (phalanx battles) in ancient times. It was interesting to me that the phalanx is not about who can kill more of the opposition but who
can destroy the moral of the opposition to claim victory on the
battlefield. They would lock their shields together to make a human wall. They would march in
formation towards their adversaries until they got to a close proximity
and then hasten to a quicker pace before colliding into their
opposition, they would also have their spears projected out between
their shields. It gave them a more defensive cover when they locked their shields. It seems fitting that as believers we lock our "shields" together to help each of us gain ground in growing in grace and knowledge. In prayer for one another and encouraging one another in Scriptures, we can lock shields together and make progress against the enemy (the devil) and have victory.
Isaiah 43:1 - 5a
"But now thus saith the Lord
that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear
not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art
mine.
2 When
thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the
rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the
fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon
thee.
3 For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
4 Since
thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have
loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
5 Fear not: for I am with thee:
(Information on phalanx fighting taken from History of the Phalanx)

No comments:
Post a Comment