Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"Here's My Heart, Oh, Take and Seal It..."

Sharing a small portion of my Bible reading this morning. 

Psalm 30:7-12
7 Lord, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.
8 I cried to thee, O Lord; and unto the Lord I made supplication.
9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me: Lord, be thou my helper.
11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

I have read this passage many times in the past, but as with many familiar passages recently, this one gripped me and caused me to read it over several times.  David knew the depth of grief over not only others choices, but his own choices as well.  He let the heart wrenching truths turn into something of great value - growth and a greater dependance, with rejoicing, on God.  Even a year ago I was begging God to remove the struggles but over this past year a growth has taken place that is hard to put into words.  I no longer beg for the removal of struggle, but rather that I would see His working in my heart through the struggles and become more and more like Him.


I have used the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" numerous times in my blogging, perhaps because each verse of that hymn is where I am or where I need to be.  Today is no different.  As I was typing this post, the words below were flooding my thoughts:

"Oh, to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be;
Let that grace now like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it;
Prone to leave the God I love.
Here’s my heart, oh, take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above." **


Does this mean that this daily life is now easy?  Nope!  But it does help to know that everything that happens is for a purpose.  This morning as I was praying to give thanks, to give God the day, to give God control, and to give Him myself, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God would orchestrate everything perfectly for His glory and that I can just rest and keep on keeping on.


**Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
By: Robert Robinson, 1735-90

No comments: