Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Deep calleth unto deep...

Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.  Psalm 42:7   David here compares the state of his soul when drowning, as it were, under a sea of turmoil:  "all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me." How great must his sense of grief have been to allow him to think of such a comparison.  I have tasted some of that the past few weeks.  In discussing this situation with a friend today, I shared how I have often wondered to myself "Will this valley ever reach bottom so that we can begin the climb back up?"  And yet like David, my heart can say what is written in the last verse of this Psalm, "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." Psalm 42:11.  Instead of giving into the grief and letting it steal your joy, remember that God is in the business of growing us to make us more like Him.  This is where faith silences the fears.  I cannot force someone to make right choices and I may be scared for them as to where these choices may land them, but I myself can choose to respond in a way that brings honor to my God and let Him help calm my anxious heart.  Take hope, friends.  As a friend recently reminded me, "God doesn't waste time.  In the midst of turmoil and chaos, remember to listen for the still small voice..."

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul!

(Verse two of the hymn It is Well with My Soul, by Horatio Spafford)


No comments: