Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Better than a Feast!

I was looking for Bible passages that had to do with being satisfied with God alone.  The first one I found was the following and I didn't make it any further today as this one really had me thinking.

Psalm 63:1-6
 1O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
 2To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
 3Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
 4Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
 5My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
 6When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.

Verse 5 especially caught my attention.  When I replace the desire for food with a longing for Christ, I will be as satisfied as if I had eaten the best food there is.  Obviously I cannot stop eating altogether but rather instead of eating out of boredom, turn to God's word and focus on what He has to tell me instead.  Instead of turning to food out of daily frustrations, leave them in God's lap and pray.  Over the years I have used several diet plans and all those plans did was make the food behave.  There was no heart change.  I am praying that as I learn the freedom that living a disciplined life has to offer, my eating habits will also change out of my desire to honor God with my eating habits.  So, I guess what I am trying to say is that this isn't about dieting.  It is about obedience and discipline.  It isn't even about self-control but rather about letting God control me.  Right now I cannot do much exercising because of knee issues.  God knows that.  I am convinced He is using it to get my attention about how necessary losing weight has become for me.  The healing will take as long as God knows it will take for me to grow in dependency on Him. 

He gives me overcoming power,
What a wonderful Saviour!
And triumph in each trying hour;
What a wonderful Saviour! 


Refrain
What a wonderful Savior
is Jesus, my Jesus!
What a wonderful Savior
is Jesus, my Lord!

(verse 4 and chorus of the Hymn What a Wonderful Savior!
Written by Elisha Hoffman in 1891)

2 comments:

Diane Heeney said...

There is a phrase I like a lot from "Standing on the Promises": "...overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword". And this, from Psalm 60: 11,12:
11 Oh, grant us help against the foe,
for vain is the salvation of man!
12 With God we shall do valiantly;
it is he who will tread down our foes.

So many weight loss "programs" make the success all about counting points or carbs or whatever...when, we all need God, or the point counting will eventually fail. The temptations will overcome. Through Him we do valiantly. Keep it up...to Him be the glory, dear friend! :)

Becbud said...

Wonderful passage and thoughts expressed here. Striving for a better "image of God" here, too. Check out my sparkpage~you know where to find me!