This God--his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD proves true;
he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.
Psalm 18:30
Having to disagree with actions a
friend has taken is never easy. In fact
when this happens, my stomach is the first part of me affected. It ends up in knots. Then those knots make their way to my throat
and I choke up in brokenness for that friend.
At this point the floodgates usually open and the tears fall
unbidden. Part of me just wants to run
away from it all and just forget we were ever friends, after all, I don’t need
this drama in my life and perhaps it is best if we just part ways here and now.
Part of me is angry, wanting to lash
out speak my mind because how could someone know what the Bible says on this
and still make bad choices? Doesn’t this
friend know how this will affect herself?
Her family? Her friends? Oh wait…and her Christian walk. Yeah…that too! Yes, at this point, in my anger I am getting
snarky. Then I realize I am fleshing
this out with my own feelings and reality begins to sink in. While I was throwing in the last concern on
my mind, it should have been my first concern.
I take a deep breath and get a
grip on my emotions and pray. Usually
that prayer sounds something like this. “Lord,
I am grieved over the choices my friend is making. If I am grieved, how much more must you be grieving?” I am angry. This time it's not at the person, but at the choices being made. When you spend time developing a relationship
with your Heavenly Father, you see the everyday things very differently. You begin to own the message you have learned over time, since the day you were saved.
Did you catch that? You own the message you have been learning. One of the hardest things for me to
overcome is worrying about what others think because the most important
part in all this is what God thinks.
As
I am praying, I ask God to give me direction.
In reality, I am a big chicken. I
fret over how people will respond to the truth.
I tend to convince myself that I am not worthy enough to speak out. What I have to remember is that God equips us
for each and every moment. It takes me
being willing to leap knowing that truth sets us free. God isn’t finished with me yet and I continue
to be a work in progress. I will
continue to be a work in progress until God calls me home.
I grew up singing this song with Patch the Pirate Goes West and my kids have sung it since they were 2 and 3 years of age. It is fitting to sing even now.
From the very start, have purpose in your heart
To do what's right, and never question why
Never count the cost though everything seems lost
The price for doing right is sometimes high
Right is always right and wrong is always wrong
And we must learn to separate the two.
If you love the right, the Lord will give you light;
So seek the right in everything you do!
From the very start, have purpose in your heart
To do what's right, and never question why
Never count the cost though everything seems lost
The price for doing right is sometimes high
Right is always right and wrong is always wrong
And we must learn to separate the two.
If you love the right, the Lord will give you light;
So seek the right in everything you do!
Do right till the stars fall.
Do right till the last call.
Do right when there no one else to stand by you.
Do right when you're all alone.
Do right though it never known.
Do right since you love the Lord.
Do right! Do right!
Words by Frank Garlock

No comments:
Post a Comment