Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Thoughts on Exercise and Parenting...

This morning as I was treading water at the gym, a few thoughts came to mind that got me really thinking.  Exercise is a lot like raising children.  Yep.  It is.  Bear with me as I try to explain what I mean...sometimes it is hard for words to explain what my mind ponders.

Exercise requires persistence to have success and so does parenting.  When we do hit or miss exercising, the progress is slow and at times, not at all.  Same is true with parenting.  If we are not consistent with what we expect of our kids, the progress of growth is very slow as well.  We see this in Scriptures as well.  Galatians 6:9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Let us not be weary: In other words, there will be times we are exhausted and don't feel like fighting the battle but we can't give in to our weariness.  In due season:  this means we need to keep on keeping on and not give up because eventually we will get there (we will reap if we faint not).  

Exercise requires pain at times.  Parenting requires pain at times as well.  This is also revealed in Scriptures in Romans 8:18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."  Today I am experiencing some muscle pains because of increasing my workout.  It isn't pleasant but it does help me feel the improvements I am making.  There are also times when parenting literally breaks our hearts but that doesn't mean we give up.  It just means we are sensitive to what is happening and God will use those heartaches to grow us and to grow our children.  The end result is glory that will be revealed.  Be patient, my friends.  I too have been there.  I am also excited for the changes that are being made physically, emotionally, and Spiritually in my life.

Exercise makes us happy, but when I head to the gym, I need to trust that happiness will ensue.  Proverbs 16:20 "He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he."  The same is true when we parent.  We have to trust that what we are doing will make an impact.  Even when our hearts break, we can still take joy in knowing that we are walking in obedience and regardless of the choices our children make, we will be happy in Him. 

This week I am not showing any loss of the gained weight on the scale yet...but my clothes feel looser so I know that progress is being made.  Weigh in is in two days so perhaps the scale will move down a little by then too.  I am able to do more on the treadmill...a LOT more than I could in April when we started at the gym so I know progress is being made.  It makes me want to shout hallelujah!

No comments: