Fourteen years ago this date I was preparing
my heart to go to a court hearing the next day where I would watch as our
children's birth mom stood before a judge to willingly terminate her parental
rights. I wasn't sure of what to expect but I knew I needed to be there to let
her know that I was strong enough to have the courage to be there with her.
Little did I know the courage these next 14 years would require "to do
justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God" (Micah 6:8) in
the parenting realm. But God did know how much courage we would need, and in
His love for us He writes the joy and challenges of our lives one page at a
time. It is in this journey that I have come to realize that it is in dealing
with the daily grind that God has challenged me to love Him “with all my heart,
with all my soul, with all my strength, and with all my mind.” (Luke
10:27)
It is through parenting that I
have realized how imperfect I am and how much obedience is so much more a matter
of heart than will. Paul David Tripp in
his book Awe: Why It Matters for Everything We Think, Say, and Do says it this
way: “You cannot threaten, manipulate, or
guilt a person into obedience. Only
grace can produce this joyful submission in me. Only grace can give me back my
awe of God. Only grace can transform me
from a worshiper of self to a worshiper of God. Only grace can motivate me to
gaze upon the beauty of the Lord until I have exited my little government of
one and given myself to the work of something vastly bigger than me. The law
cannot motivate me to obey the law. In
our disobedience, we don’t first have a law problem; we have an awe
problem. Awe of God will produce willing
submission to His will, and lack of awe of God will lead me to step over His
boundaries.”
So
as I sit here thinking over the road marker in my journey that happened one day
shy of 14 years ago, I give thanks for His wisdom in knowing the exact amount
of courage I would need to continue in His plan for me. God’s grace is indeed a sustaining grace, that
is rich in mercy and this is exactly where I need to be to experience that in
fullness.

No comments:
Post a Comment