As for God, His way is perfect... Psalm 18:30a
Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12
Thursday, October 8, 2015
As for God, His way is perfect
Today's post is one that is not easy to write but I was prompted to write about it because of something I came upon in our basement. You see, the past two days we have been going through our basement, organizing and purging. John had a couple days off so the whole family is working together on this project, reminiscing about things we find. This morning I opened a bin labled "cradle bedding" and a flood of emotion came over me. John and I, while we were waiting for an adoption placement, passed the time by making a rocking cradle, just in case we got that newborn placement. The cradle has been stored away disassembled in a closet for almost 13 years now, but I had forgotten about the bedding I had made for it...until today. Still crisp, never used. Honestly, I very rarely give thought to never having had the joy of holding my own newborn. However, a couple weeks ago I started realizing that I am getting older and that part of my life is heading into the "hot flashes and moodiness" phase. Then today when I opened that bin, I choked up. We knew when we got married we would never have children on our own and lest you think I have regrets, I do not. In fact, I have witnessed God work out some pretty amazing steps to our becoming parents that I wouldn't have otherwise witnessed. The same holds true in our parenting journey. At times, though, I do wonder what it would feel like to experience pregnancy. I wonder what our children would look like if God did choose to do some miraculous thing that would even catch the doctors off guard. Oh, and to be the recipient at a baby shower is something I have never experienced. When we started our adoption journey, it was because our pastor at the church where we attended had contacted us. He had a doctor friend who had a mom who wanted to give up her newborn twins because the state was going to take them. That is what had got our ball rolling...but a relative stepped in and took the babies and adopted them as her own. While I was disappointed at the time, I knew God's plan was bigger than this...and bigger it has been. I wouldn't have changed a thing. Yes, there were still times I prayed for a miracle to happen to us. We all have those things we wish we could be blessed with at times but knowing that God is purposeful changes the game for me. He knew when we began this adoption process, there were two children who needed a family and He also knew we needed those children...perfectly chosen by Him...to grow us. So while there are times that I weep at the sight of bedding in bin never used and a cradle in a closet stored away, I know I have experienced something that most moms never experience, that being a true picture of adoption and how we are adopted into God's family. My children, because they know Christ as their Savior, are twice adopted. Just as Christ loved us enough to fulfill the Gospel and adopt us, I have experienced what it feels like to love another mom's children. My children weren't expected...they were selected. As for the cradle and bedding, if the Lords wills, it will be passed down for our kids to use with their kids. All is not lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment