Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Friday, May 1, 2015

The Night Cometh....

This past week I feel I have made great headway in the exercise part of this journey and I have so much more energy, too!  Now, come about 8:00 every evening I find myself dozing in my chair, but it feels good to be physically tired.  My sleep at night has been much more profitable too!  A friend posted a comment to a Facebook post I had made the words "work for the night is coming."  What a great reminder to stay on course and become the person God desires me to be.  The older I get, the harder it will get to lose this weight and it is important to do it now!  There will come a time (which could be sooner, rather than later) when I won't have the opportunity to "work" like I have here and now. 

The hymn noted above actually is related to a Scripture verse, John 9:4 - "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work."  I have today, and that is all I am guaranteed...for tomorrow may be too late.  To have the energy to do the work that God has for me has become my heart desire. 

Work, for the night is coming,
Work through the morning hours;
Work while the dew is sparkling,
Work ’mid springing flowers;
Work when the day grows brighter,
Work in the glowing sun;
Work, for the night is coming,
When man’s work is done.


Work, for the night is coming,
Work through the sunny noon;
Fill brightest hours with labor,
Rest comes sure and soon.
Give every flying minute,
Something to keep in store;
Work, for the night is coming,
When man works no more.


Work, for the night is coming,
Under the sunset skies;
While their bright tints are glowing,
Work, for daylight flies.
Work till the last beam fadeth,
Fadeth to shine no more;
Work, while the night is darkening,
When man’s work is o’er.
Anna L. Coghill, 1854







No comments: