Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Sunday, March 15, 2015

"First Times in a Long Times..."

About a month ago I felt ready to care.  Ok, so I have cared about many things but I have not cared what I looked like.  In the heat of battle over the past few years in parenting, I had too many other cares than to even dwell on what I looked like.  Now that I feel like I can breath again, I have decided it is time to care about other things...other more fun things.  I dug out my make up and purchased a curling iron (my last one had broke before we moved so it had been at least 7 years that I was without one).  My make up was in sorry shape because my daughter had gotten into it a few times previously, which is one of the main reasons I had put it up...even at age 9, 10, and 11, I couldn't keep her out of it and it just grosses me out to wear make up that someone else has used...that and the fact that I honestly didn't want to encourage her wearing make up until she was 14, and then only lightly.  To put it up ended the battles of disobedience in that area that i was just tired of fighting.  Why am I telling you all this?  For the first time in a VERY long time, I feel pretty.  Now, I know that sounded vain...and it probably is, but when you feel pretty, it is easier to shine...to smile.  This barn has needed painting for a long time.  This morning my daughter told me I looked pretty.  That may not mean much to any of you...but to me it meant a lot!  It is the first compliment she has paid me, ever.  Inside I was weeping for joy.  I am weeping on the outside right now as I type that.  It is these little things that have helped me to see that I can indeed breath again.  I wasn't granted the privilege of hearing her first words as she was 2 years old when she came through our door the first time...but I was granted the privilege of a first compliment.  Yes, there will be battles in parenting.  But this was a BIG hurdle.  Moms, if you are weary of the daily grind, remember that in due time you will see the rewards, no matter how small.  "Faithful is He who calleth you, Who also will do it."  I Thessalonians 5:24

1 comment:

Diane said...

This made me smile. Love you!