Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Unwarranted Guilt

One big thing I struggle with is not feeling guilty when I know that saying "no" to someone is the right thing for me to do. I struggle with this mostly in relationships because I want to rescue and serve but saying "no" is so contrary to rescuing and serving in this world.  Today I was encouraged while reading in our SS book, Changed Into His Image (Jim Berg), that it is indeed ok to say "no" and I need not feel guilty when God has made it clear to me that "no" is the right answer for me especially when saying "yes" would enable a person to not change their current circumstances to better serve Christ and their family. Quote: "the spiritual growth will come in the form of learning to take no for an answer from God and other authorities and learning to give immediate and cheerful obedience. That is the foundation for everything else in the Christian life." (page 258) This applies not just with children we are raising or teaching...but in our relationships in general as well. Every choice we make in life has a consequence, whether it be good or bad. Sometimes the best way to teach is to quit enabling them (our children, our friends, our acquaintances) and helping them realize they have to live with the consequences of their actions, even if it isn't what they would call "ideal" because God's "ideal" is for us to grow in grace and knowledge and to trust Him for the outcome. So thankful for Godly wisdom in the form of authors who love the Lord with all their heart, soul, and mind who are willing to teach others, even if that teaching involves helping me deal with unwarranted guilt.  I am so thankful for wise friends who have told me "no" to help me grow in grace. 

There are those who will, not doubt, attempt to make me guilty for this post...but as I was reading this morning, the Lord laid it on my heart to share my struggle in this because there are others who struggle with "saying no because it is the right thing for me to do and yet I feel guilty" syndrome.  I get at least 2-3 requests daily from people, some whom I have never met in person, for everything from prayer, to money, to (fill in the blank) and I know that God does not expect me to do all of those things but instead to minister grace whether that be in doing what was asked or in saying "no" to the request.  One thing you can rest assured in is that the request was prayed over, many times at times, and I am responding in the way God has led me to respond.  When you are seeking God to direct, He empowers you to even make the hard choices and not feel guilty.  God doesn't call us to do everything everyone suggests and we need to be so in tune with God that we know how much or what He expects of us.  Thankful.

No comments: