Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Joyfully Look Past the Present...

One thing that I have been struck with is how sensitive I have become to Christ's working in me through the trials of parenting I have been in the past few years...and those trials are getting increasingly harder it seems.  And yet when you look at Christ's life, you know that trials are a part of the journey to know Him deeper...to know Him fuller.  Hebrews 12:2-3 "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds." Christ went through the pain and suffering of the cross because He joyfully looked past the trial to what in the end it would accomplish.  In parenting, I need to continually remind myself that God has a purpose in this and in order for this purpose to be accomplished, I need to keep my focus on His working IN me.  I know I haven't shared details of what we are going through and when you see our family, it probably amazes you that we have trials at all.  Remember that sometimes what we see on the outside speaks nothing of the turmoil on the inside but also remember that God knows our need and if you pray for us, He knows what you are praying for.  It is my job to bring honor to Christ, nothing else. 

Another thing I am learning is that trials are something every Christian can count on. Not only that, but they are also new opportunities for joyful dependence on the One who allowed them.  I have shared with my child how they have shown me how weak I am in and of myself and how I have found the source of true strength because of this journey and I do not regret it.  Hebrews 12:11 "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."  There is joy in experiencing the perfecting work that the Lord will do through each trial. Learn to have a right attitude and you begin to see one again that everything God does has a purpose.  He doesn't waste time in anything.   There have been times that my child's choices rip me apart inside.  I have spent many hours after my family has gone to bed recently lifting them up in prayer and weeping because I want so much for them to know the joy that only full surrender brings.  I have had to step back from some of the ministries that I have loved doing because I need to be present for my family more right now.  That has been hard.  I love to serve and allow Christ to work through me and yet I know God is using even this in others lives through me when I get an email from a fellow mom saying that they are encouraged to keep on because of what they read on my blog.  Recently a mom poured her heart out to me saying that she is struggling and just wants my courage.  "Are you sure you have the right person?" I thought on the inside.  "Surely you can't mean me."  But the Lord gave me the words to speak to encourage her through my experiences with Christ in a difficult, sometimes heart-wrenching journey.  I am not an eloquent speaker and yet I have had this pricking in my heart that some day I will be able to share this journey publicly with clear speech.  That is what will take the most courage, trust me...or better yet, I need to trust God with that.

I am looking forward to the day that I walk out of this difficult trial.  Does that mean my child will have made the right choices?  No. Not at all.  Would that be glorious?  Oh yes, it would.  But it will also be a glorious thing to know that I have done what God has required of me and rejoice over God's delivering me. That is what proves Him to be trustworthy, and that strengthens my faith.  So while I long for right choices to be made by my children, I long even more to bring honor to Christ and His work in and through me.  That is what will make it worth it all.  

Job 23:10 "He knoweth the way that I take; when he hath tested me, I shall come forth as gold."

A Christian Home
Words by Barbara B. Hart
Tune:  Be Still My Soul

O give us homes
built firm upon the Savior,
Where Christ is Head
and Counsellor and Guide;
Where ev'ry child
is taught His love and favor
And gives his heart
to Christ, the crucified:
How sweet to know
that tho his foot-steps waver
His faithful Lord
is walking by his side!

O give us homes
with godly fathers,mothers,
Who always place
their hope and trust in Him;
Whose tender patience turmoil never bothers,
Whose calm and courage trouble cannot dim;
A home where each
finds joy in serving others,
And love still shines,
tho days be dark and grim.

O give us homes
Where Christ is Lord and Master,
The Bible read,
the precious hymns still sung;
Where pray'r comes
first in peace or in disaster,
And praise is natural speech to ev'ry tongue;
Where mountains move
before a faith that's vaster,
And Christ sufficient is for old and young.

O Lord,our God,
our homes are Thine forever!
We trust to Thee
their problems, toil, and care;
Their bonds of love
no enemy can sever
If Thou art always Lord and Master there:
Be Thou the center of our least endeavor
Be Thou our Guest,
our hearts and homes to share.


No comments: