One thing I am learning along this journey is that emotions make a terrible master. I admit that up to the point of starting this diet, I was an emotional eater. Feelings in and of themselves are not bad. They are in fact a gift from the Lord. To never be able to empathize with a friend who is hurting, never feel joy, and to never experience sorrow would make life rather dull. Emotions become sin when you let them dictate your reactions...usually knee-jerk reactions. We all have experienced emotional instability. When I feel that way, I try to drown it in food. It is the one thing I am striving very hard to change. To turn to my creator instead of food has not been easy but it has been and will continue to be the most rewarding. Praying isn't going to add 2500 calories to my days diet. It isn't going to cause regrets that make me eat even more the next day. The power of Scripture reading and memorization is awesome when it comes to controlling our emotions and keeping them tethered. "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV) This requires us making the choice to meditate on the Word of God instead of relying on our emotions to get us through life.
There are times I feel I cannot get my emotions under control but in reality, it is my desire to be angry that leads me to believe that. It takes more effort to pray for the person who wronged us than it does to just let them have it. It takes more effort to get out my Bible to read and meditate than it does to run to the cupboard and binge. God is waiting, however. He is waiting patiently for me to cry out to him and say "Lord, I cannot do this. I need help to surrender to your will and not fill the void I am feeling with food. Lord, I need You." It is then that I can open His Word and meditate upon it.
He Is Able To Deliver Thee
William A. Ogden, 1887
’Tis the grandest theme through the ages rung;
’Tis the grandest theme for a mortal tongue;
’Tis the grandest theme that the world e’er sung,
“Our God is able to deliver thee.”
Refrain
He is able to deliver thee,
He is able to deliver thee;
Though by sin oppressed, go to Him for rest;
“Our God is able to deliver thee.”
’Tis the grandest theme in the earth or main;He is able to deliver thee;
Though by sin oppressed, go to Him for rest;
“Our God is able to deliver thee.”
’Tis the grandest theme for a mortal strain;
’Tis the grandest theme, tell the world again,
“Our God is able to deliver thee.”
Refrain
’Tis the grandest theme, let the tidings roll,To the guilty heart, to the sinful soul;
Look to God in faith, He will make thee whole,
“Our God is able to deliver thee.”
Refrain
My stats for this week are 1.6 more pounds shed for a total of 21.6 gone.
My stats for this week are 1.6 more pounds shed for a total of 21.6 gone.

No comments:
Post a Comment