Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Friday, July 1, 2011

Blasting Past

For the past 6 months I would lose the same 10 pounds over and over.  This time I was determined to blast past the 10 pound mark.  It took a lot of determination and keeping my focus on a disciplined routine.  I am beginning to realize that if I am going to keep the weight off that I lose, I will need to continue to be disciplined.  For years I believed it my heart was right then the weight would just stay off.  The other day it began to click that while yes it does require a right heart, God also requires discipline.  In a weight loss group I was a part of many years ago, the program was based on not making the food behave but rather eating what you love in moderation.  The Lord has really been working on me concerning that belief.  While that may work for some, I believe God works in each persons life in different ways.  For me, that requires making the more healthy choice even though I would rather have cheesecake.  It requires me to choose fruit over my favorite salt and vinegar chips.  Does that mean I never ever have these things?  No, it does not.  But it does require me to eliminate them as much as possible and save them for those really special occasions.  There is that discipline I am talking about.  In learning this, I have found that I am starting to desire my quiet time alone with God more as well as reading books that are good for me.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I stepped on that scale today for my weekly weigh in.  I knew I had been obedient in my choices in choosing what my body truly needs to feel better over what tantalized my taste buds for the moment and then left me feeling sluggish and sick.  When I weighed myself this morning, it was all I could do not to give a hoop and hollar of praise.  It was 5:45am and my husband was still asleep.  I did, however, say a prayer of praise in my heart.  I had lost another 3 pounds this past week which meant I had indeed blasted past the 10 pound mark and have lost a total of 13 pounds.

I have been reminded often this past week of 2 Peter 1:5-8 "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." God desires me to be effective and productive for Him. Self control is a part of that as well as perseverance. As I typed that, another verse came to mind. I Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain." My God knows exactly what it takes to succeed in this life that He has blessed me with. Instead of turning to food for contentment, I need to turn to Him. I need to have the self control it takes to His will for my life. I need to persevere to please God instead of self.

No comments: