Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Friday, November 4, 2016

Weigh Day...or Lessons Not Returned Void

This past week has been one of cultivation in my life.  I wish I could say I handled it perfectly but that is far from the truth.  In fact at times I failed miserably.  I am going to be completely transparent in the next few lines because I want this experience to be an launching pad for growth for you too.  You see, I struggle with being quickly angered and while I have come a long ways, I still struggle with being one who suffers long in a way that brings honor to God.  I know that there is still hope for change in my life because when I do fly off the handle, I am immediately grieved in spirit over that response.  This past weeks experiences were no exception.  I am so thankful for Godly sorrow leading to repentance.  I am also grateful that God brings to my mind the many memorized Scriptures in my memory banks to get me back on track.  Each of you knows, as I do, that there are times we find it hard to love others as Christ loves us.  Sometimes people frustrate us but there is no excuse for not demonstrating long-suffering love as Christ demonstrates to us.  Some of the Bible verses that have flooded my mind this past week are:

Psalm 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him.  He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved.  (being patient...a virtue for which I need a lot of grace)

Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.  (Gaining new strength is a reward for waiting on Him...His mercies are new every morning.)

2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (God knows where I am weak and desires for me to lay them at His feet so that He can help me be strong.)

Psalm 51:4,8,12  Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in they sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.  Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. (The joy of repentance flows directly out of its grief...we must face completely without excuse the depth of our guilt before a holy God.)

I could go on...this week has been one of so much growing in grace.  It has been one of the more hardest weeks in my life and feelings of abandonment have crept in because the devil wants me to believe I cannot overcome but in the dark places are where grace is felt at a much deeper level.  I sing a lot in the dark and am often thankful for hymn writers who put into words what I need.  Some people pride themselves in singing in front of others...I do my best singing in the dark where only God hears the cry of my heart.


All that being said, I wasn't expecting a loss of weight this past week.  Stress tends to be an enabler for me to eat more and gain weight.  That was not the case this week...and to God be the glory.  I lost another 1.2 pounds for a total of 37.6 lost since April 22, 2016.


But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ.
I Corinthians 15:57

No comments: