Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Friday, July 8, 2016

You Just May Be the Weakest Link...

At times I am caught off guard by the lengths that the wiles of the devil reach. (Ephesians 6:11) At times the armor feels really heavy because the very things that help us gird up are also the things that in OUR OWN strength weigh us down. I am becoming even more mindful that I need to continually do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord (Deuteronomy 6:18) regardless of what others think or say in opposition. The devil knows our weak link and he will use the very things that matter most to us to try to drive us to disobedience.

For me, a weak link in my heart is to take things people say personally when ultimately those things reveal their heart. It makes me grieve inside when I hear other believers say "you shouldn't have to do that because there are others who should step up and do it." Those words have the potential of stealing the joy completely out of an act of service done to bring honor to Christ. A few years ago it would have been me speaking those words but the more I have allowed Christ to burden me to serve, the more I desire to serve regardless of what others choose to do. I will never have to answer for them but I am definitely accountable for me. If we are serving simply because no one else appears to be stepping up, then we are serving for the wrong reason. If we take a meal to someone, it needs to be out of a heart of gratitude for what Christ has done for us. If we sacrifice a day (or two, or three, or ten thousand) to do projects at church needing done, the sole reason needs to be glorify Christ. When our kids were younger, the acts of service seemed to always be at home but as my kids have gotten older, I am more available to serve outside the home, teaching them what true service looks like. When I think of the times I have done an act of service and then complained that I only did it because no one else would step up, I cringe inside. I know I was grieving the One who calls us to serve simply because we love Him and it is through loving Him that we can serve out of pureness of heart. Countless times I find myself quoting Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Thankfully I am not the person I was 3+ years ago. You cannot out give God when it comes to money, time, or acts of service. It is Christ who gives the increases we need to accomplish what He desires us to do. Amazing Grace...it is truly a sweet sound that saved a wretch like me.


No comments: