I have been considering adding some strength training to my gym time experiences and today I decided to leap and do it. I talked with one of the trainers about exercise machines that could help my lower back strength as well as upper body strength. My legs get a good workout on the elliptical and when I tread water so for now, I want to focus on back and upper body. I found that workout machines have a come a LONG ways since high school days when we had to take circuit training in gym class. I have a lot to remember to set each machine for what I need to do, but thankfully there are instructions on each one. :) Today I rotated with the shoulder press, triceps press, biceps curls, abdominal crunches, back extension, and pectoral fly/rear dealt machines. Per trainer's recommendation, I kept them minimal to start out but will continue to work through each one every time we are at the gym. I still did the elliptical which was a 15:30 mile...about what I expected after being off for 3 weeks due to illnesses between Maddie and me. I also tread water for 45 minutes. I love that feeling when you get into the deep end of the pool and let the water carry you. The relief to my body is such a wonderful feeling! I am excited to be adding more routines to my workout and hoping it helps not only strengthen my body, but spur it to drop some more pounds. Hopefully I can move tomorrow morning. HA!
I was thinking about what God has to say about exercise and a couple verses came to mind. I had to look up the references when I got home, but here are the verses that came to mind:
Proverbs 24:5 "A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might," (ESV)
Proverbs 31:17 "She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong." (ESV)
As I had been considering adding strength training, it was impressed upon me the importance of getting stronger and how it affects how well we can serve in our families, church, and others. Every day chores become easier and hopefully I won't have as many setbacks due to back pain as I get stronger in my upper torso. I believe God wants me to get stronger so that I can endure more. This will mean more discipline in my life, but we all know that discipline is critical for success in both
your spiritual life and in a fitness program. I will be keeping a spreadsheet on my computer to track my progress because it is one of those "remember the past to encourage the future" things in my life...as I see the progress being made, it will encourage me to keep making more progress.
I have not weighed the past 3 weeks and I do not plan to weigh until this Friday. It will be what it is. I can't change the past 3 weeks but I can work on today..and tomorrow...and the next day. "Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow."

1 comment:
"I can't change the past 3 weeks but I can work on today..and tomorrow...and the next day."
This is the game changer to success, I'm fully convinced!
Post a Comment