Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Monday, April 21, 2014

Take No Thought for Tomorrow...

Okay...so I have this praise to share.  As most of you know, I have put back on a lot of weight that I had lost a couple years ago.  That means needing to adjust my wardrobe.  However, there was this problem.  You see, I had given away some of my bigger clothes.  Guess I was feeling optimistic one day...tee hee.  My capris from last summer were not going to fit this summer (I have hope that they will fit by the end of summer, however) because I haven't been at this weight loss thing long enough yet.  So, a couple weeks ago I dove into my bins of clothes in the basement and came up with no capris that fit.  I was trying to be optimistic and thought "well, maybe Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Hopefully Yours (another non-profit place run solely on donations) will have some.  I have been stopping at these places off and on the past few weeks to no avail.  I was getting discouraged.  I only had 2 pairs that fit in my closet.  Again, trying to look at the bright side, I said to myself "well Ruth, you will just have to do laundry every 2-3 days.  It isn't that bad."   But I decided to check out a few stores to see what they had.  Everything I found was way out of the budget.  Here is where the praise comes in.  I decided, while working on laundry today, to check the bins in the basement one more time.  Apparently I had neglected one of them when I was searching a couple weeks ago because there in one of the bins were several pairs of capris that fit!  I was ecstatic.  It was Christmas in my early life all over again!  So thankful that I hadn't listened to my head tell me to just spend the money and get the expensive ones.


All that made the passage in Matthew come to mind.

Matthew 6:25-34
"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."


No comments: