Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

That Was Painful...

...but I needed to hear it.

The past few weeks I have been struggling to restart...but if you read this blog regularly, you already know that.  I have been finding myself laying awake at night frustrated with how far I have let myself slip back into old habits.  Yes, I would even get worked up to the point where I couldn't get back to sleep.  I have even gone as far as to avoid my devotions on occasion because the conviction was too great.  But today, after having a check up at the doctor's office where I heard some pretty hard things to hear, I realized that I just need to start over.  Completely.  Start where I am and not focus so much on where I was last summer.  I can't change the choices I have made in the past, but I can surely make the right choices now.  I went to my Weight Watchers Online page and wiped the slate clean and I am ready to start at my present weight.  It may sound weird, but to do that helped me move forward.  I recorded my weight from the doctor's office as my start weight and am planning my next weigh in on September 6th because this Friday is only a few days away.  My doctor wants to see me again in 6 months and I think it will help to have that as an additional motivating factor.  We spent quite a while talking about what I need to do to get back on track and I am thankful to have a doctor isn't always in a rush to move on to the next patient.  

As I thought about all this today, this verse came to mind:  Romans 6:12 "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."  If I stay where I am, I am letting sin control my choices.  I can start over and no longer let sin reign.  There is joy in obedience. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ruth, so proud of you cousin. You are right to just start over. A clean page is an invitation to write out the new goals and thoughts. You can make adjustments from your old path to make it work for you. Use what you have learned. You have come a long way and Maddie and Jack need you around for several more years. John needs you for many more years. You can do this. I am here for you. Go get em!