Then Samuel took a stone...calling the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Importance of Keeping Your Knees Polished

I hate being at that age where my body is changing due to age. They give it a fancy name - Perimenopause. Mayo Clinic's website describes it as "Women start perimenopause at different ages. In your 40s, or even as early as your 30s, your may start noticing the signs. Your periods may become irregular — longer, shorter, heavier or lighter, sometimes more and sometimes less than 28 days apart. You may also experience menopause-like symptoms, such as hot flashes, sleep problems..." I used to have a body that ran like clockwork. Now I am so messed up that I feel as though I need to be ready every day for "things to start" and can go anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks between cycles. Well, I have felt the affects of PMS to to the extreme this past week...I knew the scale would show it. Yes, I gained 2 pounds. UGH! It used to be when I was losing weight, I could prepare ahead of time knowing when PMS would hit but this not knowing is for the birds. Needless to say, I have been angry at myself all day...and justly so. I could have put on that armor and kept my knees polished, praying for God to fill the void and I could have made better choices. The good news is that God hasn't given up on me so I haven't given up on me. Tomorrow starts another week. Tomorrow has a clean slate. I am not worried because that would be sin.
Matthew 6:31-34 "Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

I recently found the following hymn (words by Chris Anderson) on www.churchworksmedia.com and it has fast become a favorite of mine.

I Run To Christ

I run to Christ when chased by fear
And find a refuge sure.
“Believe in me,” His voice I hear;
His words and wounds secure.

I run to Christ when torn by grief
And find abundant peace.
“I too had tears,” He gently speaks;
Thus joy and sorrow meet.

_____

I run to Christ when worn by life
And find my soul refreshed.
“Come unto Me,” He calls through strife;
Fatigue gives way to rest.

I run to Christ when vexed by hell
And find a mighty arm.
“The Devil flees,” the Scriptures tell;
He roars, but cannot harm.

_____

I run to Christ when stalked by sin
And find a sure escape.
“Deliver me,” I cry to Him;
Temptation yields to grace.

I run to Christ when plagued by shame
And find my one defense.
“I bore God’s wrath,” He pleads my case—
My Advocate and Friend.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

It's not easy now Ruth, but can be done. I lost 70 lbs in my late 40's and have kept it off for over 5 years now. It required major discipline, a total change in my lifestyle and daily exercise. I do an average of an hour of cardio every day, along with strength training, which is essential to building up all the muscle I lost due to age. For an eating plan, I went to Weight Watchers, which kept me accountable.

You can do it.

(((Hugs)))
~Nancy

Ruth Christison said...

Thank you, Nancy. Once my knee is completely healed, I will be able to do more. Right now I am only able to do walking exercising.